Calmly Writer is an editor designed to focus on what you want to tell, with a simple, unobtrusive and ease-to-use user interface.
tool in a nutshell…
Simple in browser minimalistic text editor
Tool Category: #Minimalistic-Word-Processor
Includes Free Tier: Yes
Premium Price: One Time $9.99
Writing Process Stage: Brainstorming,Rough Draft
Problem & Solution
Problem: When you want to write, your mind is full of thoughts. It’s hard to focus on writing and get words out when you have so many distractions.
Agitate: You can’t help but check the news feed or read your emails every time you open a new tab in your browser.
Solution: CalmlyWriter will make sure that you don’t forget about what really matters – writing! The application will hide all other tabs from sight until the current one is closed. If something important pops up, use the “tab notification” option and put it on top of everything else for a few minutes before returning back to work.
1. Minimalistic and distraction free writing.
2. Simple, unobtrusive and ease-to-use user interface.
3. Focus Mode: As you start typing, all the distracting options disappear from the user interface.
4. Format your text simply by selecting and clicking on the desired style. – Or use markdown mode.
5. Simulated typewriter sound option (my fav)
6. Free online (autosaves to Google Drive, or Local)
7. Exports markdown, HTML, Docx.
What is Missing
1. Offline autosaves to browser cache and risks being removed if browser resets cache.
2. Small advertisement on free browser version, but only in preferences menu… reasonable.
Sean’s Notes On CalmlyWriter…
Minimalistic document editors like this are great for when you just want to bust out a bit of writing without worrying about anything else. I personally use these types of tools (Calmly specifically) quite a bit for first drafts, just to get the words out of my head. Then I’ll pull them into more organized writing tools like google docs for edits.
Usefulness: 4 out of 5 Stars
Price to Value Ratio: 5 out of 5 Stars